Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Confirmation

This morning as I woke up to mounds of laundry, dishes I hadn't finished last night, unfinished projects, and lots of clutter, I found myself wondering what in the world possessed me to homeschool.  I started mourning the 7 hours a day that I'd have totally to myself to clean, craft, organize, etc.  I knew that deep down (very deep this morning!) I loved what I did, but I just didn't feel it.  


After we had done most of our desk work, we snuggled up on the couch for our reading.  I had been reading Toliver's Secret to Abigail because it correlated with where we were in history right now, and yesterday, Anna decided she wanted to sit in on the reading.  She quickly got sucked into the story and and wanted to join us again today.  We got to the climax of the story and I knew I had to put the book down so that we could have lunch, and sadly, get dressed(!) before the girls had sewing class.  I tried to put the book down, but I had BOTH girls begging for "one more chapter"!  This is not uncommon from Abigail, but to have both girls desperately wanting me to read just a little more completely melted my heart and was such a confirmation that, messes and all, homeschooling is totally worth it.  

I love that I get to be here with them when they have those moments where things suddenly "click".  I love that I get to see their proud little faces as they tell their daddy about what they learned in school that day.  I love that they are exposed to well-written literature and that I can use what we read to foster Godly character in them.  I love that the Lord has put homeschooling on my heart.  I love that He gave me such a clear reminder that I am in His will and that despite the fact that I sometimes doubt my ability homeschool, He gives me encouragement like this to keep me going.  God is good!

4 comments:

Alice said...

Love the new layout. I am always in awe at how creative both Abigail and Anna are. You know I wasn't a fan of homeschooling many many years ago, but seeing how the public school system fails our children, and seeing how much advanced both girls are opposed to those that go to public school, I have become a fan and advocate of home schooling. You are the best, what opportunities Abigail and Anna have to explore and learn things that public school children can't experience. Bravo to you and David. God has blessed me with a wonderful daughter-in-law, grandchildren and son.

Unknown said...

Good stuff. It's neat how God reminds us of why he called us to do certain things-even if it's only a glimpse-of the rewards He's got in store for those following His path.

Cool

Tammy said...

I see you're still blogging every now and then. Nice post.

Krista Sanders said...

This would have encouraged me so in April!! Thanks for sharing your heart and reminding me too!